At Provantage, we care about your personal privacy and actively work to protect it.
In its mail-order catalog business, which started in 1984, Provantage established security measures to safeguard customer information long before privacy became a popular concern among Internet users.
The type of information that individuals typically want to keep private is commonly referred to as "personally-identifiable" information. As the term suggests, personally-identifiable information is information that can be associated with a specific individual such as name, address, telephone number and email address.
SmartCart Account Set-up
- You are free to browse our website anonymously, without setting up any type of account or providing any personally-identifiable information. However, when you are ready to place an order, you will need to establish a SmartCart Account. The information you provide in your account will allow us to process your orders and notify you of your order status. To set up your account, we need to know your name, shipping address, credit card billing address, credit card number, credit card expiration date, phone number and email address. You can make changes or updates to your SmartCart information during the check out process.
- For your protection, we do not store your credit card number in your SmartCart account file. This means that once you leave the checkout process, your credit card number is no longer accessible and must be re-entered during any future checkout processes. We've designed our system this way so that if someone using your computer does gain unauthorized access to your SmartCart account, they will not be able to see your credit card number.
Email Subscriber List
- All emails sent to our subscriber list provide a convenient way to un-subscribe if you choose to do so.
Product Wish List System
- Our product wish list system requires a valid email address, which will uniquely identify your wish list, and allow us to send you any email messages you optionally request. The email address you provide will be used only for purposes directly related to your wish list.
- Also, our wish list system allows you to create multiple lists. For your convenience, your browser is assigned a cookie to identify the email address of your active list. Your browser must be able to accept a cookie, or you will have to identify your active list every time you use it.
Buyer's Guide Subscriber List
- The form for requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization asks for your name, email address, and telephone number. This information allows us to reply to product return requests.
Other Information Collected Automatically
- Provantage's website may collect information from website visitors that is not personally-identifiable, including the visitor's operating system, browser type, IP address, and the specific web pages on the Provantage website that are accessed or visited. If you come to our site via a link, we may capture the location of the site you linked from. Provantage only collects this information in the aggregate, and only uses such information to better tailor our website content to user needs, and to help us and our vendors measure the level of response to advertising and promotional campaigns.
Limiting Employee Access to Information
- Provantage limits employee access to personally-identifiable information to those with a business reason for knowing such information. Provantage educates its employees so that they will understand the importance of confidentiality and customer privacy. Provantage also takes appropriate disciplinary measures to enforce employee privacy responsibilities.
Protection of Information via Established Security Procedures
- Provantage maintains appropriate security standards and procedures regarding unauthorized access to customer information.
A note about "Cookies"
- An additional concern of Internet users is the imprint a website may leave on users’ browsers during a visit. This imprint is commonly referred to as a "cookie". A "cookie" is a small piece of information a web server can store with your web browser in the form of a cookie file so that it can later retrieve that information. Importantly, a web server can only retrieve the contents of the cookie file it put there, and it cannot access any other data on your hard disk. Also, a web server cannot read cookie files put there by other websites. Our purpose for using cookies is to make shopping and buying from our website easy to do. Third parties may also place and read cookies on users’ browsers, or use web beacons or similar technologies to collect information in connection with the Google Trusted Stores program. Most Web browsers allow web users to exercise control over such files on their computers by erasing them, blocking them, or notifying the user when such a file is stored. You can learn more about cookies in your browser documentation.
- Provantage is committed to protecting your privacy. We use the information we collect on our website to make shopping at Provantage.com possible and to enhance your overall shopping experience. We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others.
Provantage.com welcomes your questions and comments about privacy. Please send email to WebMaster@provantage.com.